Some asian flavors today. Here is a recipe for spicy vegetarian sausage and vegetables using Chinese five spice. The Chinese five spice as the name suggests is made using 5 spices, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, sichuan pepper and fennel seeds. It smells heavenly and adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
I used all vegetarian ingredients but you can swap out the vegetarian sausages for any kind of meat sausages. I am sure the dish will be just as wonderful.
- 1tbsp oil
- 6 vegetarian sausages (thawed), cut into chunks (I bought mine at WholeFoods, Vegan certified)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 7-8 baby bella mushrooms, diced
- Handful green beans, chopped
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- Salt to taste
- This is your typical cut and dump all crockpot recipe.
- Mix and cook on low for 5-6 hours
- Serve over rice
And the verdict is:
It was a hearty dish. I served it over white rice, but I am sure it will taste great with brown rice as well. S found it to be a little spicy but was game enough to try it. C liked it as well but would have preferred if the sausage was actual meat instead of the one made from tofu