The polar vortex is back and with it brings frigid single digit temperatures. So a nice hot soup was just what the Doctor ordered. I tried making the Japanese Tofu and Mushroom Soup. This recipe was one of the simplest recipes I have tried so far. I used Shiitake mushrooms, but you could try any mushrooms you like. I like the meatiness that the Shiitakes provide to a simple dish.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 4 oz. tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced, stems discarded
- 2 oz noodles (I used the Miracle noodles, you can buy them here)
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally
- Salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients to the crock-pot and cook on low for 4 hours
And the verdict is:
Simple, easy and delicious. I loved the light flavor. I think I tasted heaven I guess that says it all!